Ishikawa Prefectural Noh Theater opened in 1972 as Japan’s first independent public noh theater to serve as the base for preserving, handing down, and promoting noh in general. The theater’s noh stage was built in 1932 originally as the main stage of Kanazawa Noh Theater and was relocated. With the passage of time, the stage is now filled with a charming vintage feel.
|1932||Kanazawa Noh Theater is completed. (Hirosaka-dori, Kanazawa City)|
|1971||Kanazawa Noh Theater’s stage is donated to Ishikawa Prefecture, and relocated to the current location.|
|1972||Ishikawa Prefectural Noh Culture Center is completed.|
|1986||The theater is renamed Ishikawa Prefectural Noh Theater.|
The local noh of Kaga Domain was first developed by Maeda Toshiie, the first lord of Maeda Clan during Momoyama Period.
In addition to getting noh lessons from the eminent performers of the Konparu school and the Kanze school of noh, Toshiie invited the top performer of Hosho school named Hosho Tayu to Kaga Domain. In this way, he deeply devoted himself to noh.
Maeda Tsunanori, the fifth lord of Kaga Domain, studied noh deeply under the guidance of Hosho Tomoharu, the top performer of the Hosho school who was also a government official. He ordered all the actors of the Konparu school, except for Takeda Gonbe, to change to the Hosho school.
As the successive lords of Kaga Domain were noh enthusiasts, noh actors were comprehensively supported by the domain until the end of the Edo Period in the late 19th century.
Meanwhile, the Maeda Clan not only ordered the craftsmen of the castle’s handiwork studio to also learn certain areas of noh to enhance their education and to train them as supporting members for noh performances, but also promoted noh among commoners. Eventually, this area’s Hosho school of noh became to be known as “Kaga Hosho.” To this day, Kaga Hosho has been steadily enjoyed in this area.
After the feudal system of the shogunate and domains collapsed, Ishikawa’s continuous engagement in noh once declined but it was revived by Sano Kichinosuke.
Our noh stage was built by Sano Kichinosuke II in 1932 originally as the main stage of Kanazawa Noh Theater. It was eventually donated to Ishikawa Prefecture and relocated to the current location.
This stage was modeled after Nishi Hongwanji temple’s North Noh Stage (a national treasure). The stage is entirely made with Japanese cypress wood, featuring a hip-and-gable roof with a gable pediment, which is covered with layers of Japanese cypress bark shingles. As a result of the passage of time, the stage has a majestic appearance with subdued colors and luster.
– Main stage (5.9 m)
– Second stage (25 tatami mats)
– Auditorium (373 regular seats, 26 box seating areas, and 2 seats for wheelchair users)
– Dressing room (57 tatami mats)
– Display area, library & video section
– Restroom (Wheelchair-accessible restroom available)